Saturday, October 8, 2011

Cyber Manifesto draft 1

Please give your feedback by Wednesday Oct 12!

Here are things Prum is planning to do still:

1. balance the sound levels
2. put in a skype ring at the beginning and perhaps as a reoccurring theme throughout.
3. put in the ending section
4. make the solos more interesting with either bits of the background beat showing or multiplying our image.


note: Rather then put our solos in relation to the music where we had planned, he put them directly after each other with no backbeat in-between. This serves to drive forward the whole manifesto and keep the whole thing concise which is already 5 1/2 min without the end. He said he could try it differently if we desire so let us know. This does mean that he can't use our live sound so the body may be synched to sound a bit differently and that I'll have to foley in our body sounds in a separate audio recording. Please let us know your thoughts on this.


Password "manifesto"



Text:

CYBER - MANIFEST - OH

Babli:
Yes.
Yes to process.
Yes to complexity.
Yes to hybridity.
Yes to being rooted in the local and rocking the global.


Anj:

We collect our many voices to create and translate choreography, writings, and art across distant boundaries, overseas, here and there, everywhere that dance happens in the “liminal” space between Classical and Contemporary. Constructing, reconstructing, and deconstructing, we grapple with South Asian aesthetics, in dialogue with each other and informed by the space where our lives and art intersect.


Babli: Yes to interrogating our legacies.
Yes to queering.
Yes to sustainability.
Yes to praxis.
Yes to challenging aesthetic hegemonies and to resisting market ideology.
Yes to combating exoticism orientalism colonialism racism sexism classism casteism communalism.

Cyn:
Bite down hard into our naughty knotty histories
How nation-state clamped down
domesticating our bodies
Remember the unthinkable
the intimate erotic exchange between women
powerfully sacred and profane
bending borders of caste class religion and culture
Their songs reenter my body with its American stride its yellow skin its postmodern leanings
I spit and twist and breathe and say,
Make room for the funky
for the butch-femme genderqueer
woman lovin’ hard-hitting rhythm-rappin’
rasa as you ain’t never felt it before.

Babli:
Yes to coalition.
Yes to consensual collaboration.
Yes to trust.
Yes to honesty.
Yes to respect.
Yes to process without product.
Yes to creative recycling and reusing.
Yes to open-source.
Yes to multiple voices, multiple aesthetics, multiple authors.

Shy:
WE ARE A COLLECTIVE
we are not a company
we are not about one monolithic vision, position, or approach
we listen with care, we dream wild, we live process, and we create.... magic
we create that unique magic that comes from the unexpected unity of our virtual variety
we share, we learn, we grapple with difference –and we don’t gloss it over
our open-sourced voices echo across continents in harmony and sometimes in dissonance
we embrace change and our roots are deep
in sharing our responsibilities we multiply our reach, our resources, our enthusiasm, our possibilities
to create... change

Anj: Yes to community.
Cyn: Yes to collectively building infrastructure.
Babli: Yes to radical dis/agreement.
Shy: Yes to multiplying energy.

Babli:
Yes to the widest possible definition of dance.
Yes to “natyam” as a multiple-faceted performing art.
Yes to “post”:

CYN: post-modern,

BABLI: post-colonial, post-structuralist,

SHY: communicating through the cyber-”post”

ANJ: across genres, traditions, and communities.

Babli: Yes to each other.
All: Yes to Post Natyam.

4 comments:

  1. 1. balance the sound levels
    Yes please! The solos should be significantly louder than the background rhythm throughout – especially Shy’s, where I can’t understand her at all.

    2. put in a skype ring at the beginning and perhaps as a reoccurring theme throughout.
    In comparison to our last two Cyber Chats, this one seems the most distant or abstracted from an actual Skype call. So I like the idea of putting in the skype ring to connect it to the series more clearly, and think it would be nice to have it recur throughout in one form or another, as this would be more abstracted than our classic ring at the beginning and hang up sound at the end.

    3. put in the ending section
    Do you have me saying “post modern”? At the moment I can’t remember having recorded it. Let me know ASAP if I haven’t.

    4. make the solos more interesting with either bits of the background beat showing or multiplying our image.
    This would be great! Right now, I feel the piece lacks a visual throughline. I find the beginning quite engaging, but then when the solos start, it starts feeling disconnected and not as visually interesting. This is compounded by the fact that not all of the solos actively engage with the camera frame. Especially because we’re going straight from one solo to another, I think it’s important to show part of the background beat throughout (maybe not always, but often) – that way our presence as support for each other is acknowledged visually as well as sonically. And I'd personally give Prum free rein to cut up and remix the footage he has however he likes. :)

    5. note: Rather then put our solos in relation to the music where we had planned, he put them directly after each other with no backbeat in-between. This serves to drive forward the whole manifesto and keep the whole thing concise which is already 5 1/2 min without the end. He said he could try it differently if we desire so let us know. This does mean that he can't use our live sound so the body may be synched to sound a bit differently and that I'll have to foley in our body sounds in a separate audio recording. Please let us know your thoughts on this.

    I think it’s good not to make the video much longer than it is. However, I find some parts of the timing/rhythm problematic in its current form. In the beginning Anj’s feet seem to be off from Shy’s voice. And in my solo, if it would be possible to push the sound just a hair later so that the “fore” of before, the last word in my text, synchronizes with Shy’s “yes,” it would be SO much better...particularly the end section sounds weird. Also, some parts are pretty weird without the body sound – Shy’s footwork in her solo, and my solo (particularly the ending) – so I would prefer to foley in the sound (unless there’s some way to use the original). If you want me to re-record my sound to foley it in, I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Yes, I agree with Cyn that the background sound is currently louder than the solo sounds and Shy's solo is especially hard to hear

    2) I also am for inserting the Skype ring as we add in each of our rhythms and finishing with the hang-up sound at the end

    3) Ending is still in progress but it would be nice if it reached some sort of collage-like climax before it went back to only the background sounds

    4)Yes, it would be neat if there was a way to see more than one solo at a time (almost like a conversation)

    Beautiful Work Prum!!! I also love the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely love Prum's playful cuts in the beginning and am excited to see what else he will do with the solos. I will work with him on some of the synching issues and see if it can be easily resolved.

    I'm not sure it's worth the extra work, but I feel it would be interesting to add two elements:
    1. a video of us saying our solo parts that could be intercut with our dancing bodies...something about the body alone makes it a little more distant from the words for me.
    2. a video of each of us listening/watching the others...maybe nodding in agreement, maybe with our earphones on in skype style. This could be used especially in the end section where we're going back and forth a lot. this can show how we're involved with each other but not just in the background beats...but maybe the background already implies that since we're creating the beat together?

    Watching it afresh today makes me wonder if it actually could use a little more space for the viewer to zone out a little between all the words...they get to be a lot sometime around the 3rd time I see babli and then I don't bother listening to them in my solo (but maybe that's just the sound balance). Perhaps one tin tal cycle after Anj's, Cyn's and My solos? Right now the next person's voice often starts on sum which is good for continuity of the whole which ideally would end on sum together, but if we ended the solos on sum then gave a cycle rest, Babli could start us off on a new idea with the next cycle... Then I might relate what she says more to the solo that is next to her. It could potentially make it easier then dealing with foley cause i think Cyn created hers to end on sum. I actually created mine to end before sum thinking the next person would start on sum, but perhaps it could be tweaked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. balance the sound levels

    YES!!!
    I agree that Shy’s solo is particularly hard to hear.
    Regarding mine: I had originally recorded text separately, then spoken with the pre-recorded to make video…. Logisticaly it was not possible to use external mike while doing video.
    I have sent to you the pre-recorded text as mp3


    Also, I am wondering if you still want me to re-record cause of sick voice… listen to the pre-recorded first, might work and should match lips….

    If not, can I make minor visual changes, after seeing Anj and Shy’s?


    2. put in a skype ring at the beginning and perhaps as a reoccurring theme throughout.

    Re-occurring YES!!! I like the idea of it referencing and also departing from skype call series.


    THAT SAID--- the aesthetic of the cuts in the beginning reminds me more of the google-plus hang out
    Remember how the image of the person speaking at the moment pops up? And how chaotic it can get when we all get excited and start talking or laughing at the same time?
    I get more of that feeling, and this does not fit the skype call as directly—which may or may not matter!




    3. put in the ending section

    YES! This is where I would be able to imagine the google + hangout idea


    4. make the solos more interesting with either bits of the background beat showing or multiplying our image.


    YES!
    It agree that it would be more tied together and more interesting if there was a visual throughline along with the audio throughline.

    I like how the audio throughline is set up visually in the beginning. I really like the rhythmic cuts and the kaleidoscopic mix of body parts! That said, I believe the hands need more support to have equal wait in combination with the eyes and feet. To this end I would reconsider the moment at 45 seconds when Cyn’s torso is very narrow and the hands disappear for a few seconds.

    I could see the backbeat motives coming back between solos, however, I really like the transition between one of my yes sections and Cyn’s solo at 2:09 minutes.

    I am also interested in the image that’s there at the around 5 minutes…

    Something like that could work for solos too! And save time ☺

    ReplyDelete